Help Hurricane Harvey Dogs and Pets August 30 2017
With thousands upon thousands of people displaced and others still awaiting rescue, our hearts are breaking for those being harassed by Hurricane Harvey. Some family pets were able to escape along side their families, others were left behind. We've heard of tremendous acts of courage, compassion and kindness and many more watching from afar wanting to help. Further below is a list of organizations that are on the ground helping dogs survive Hurricane Harvey.
Photo: The Dallas Morning News
Keep in mind that the rescue, medical and shelter needs are constantly changing as the waters recede and shelters become overrun. While an in-kind donation is thoughtful, financial contributions provide the aid groups with flexibility to meet changing demands and prevent the need for storage when physical donations no longer meet current needs.
Suggested groups to support for providing aid to victims of Hurricane Harvey:National Groups Providing Local Support
- Best Friends Animal Society, the first dog rescue group on the ground during Hurricane Katrina, has deployed its disaster response team to Texas to help rescue stranded dogs, deliver needed supplies and help transport displaced pets.
- Wings of Rescue, a group that offers airplane transportation to at risk pets, including a four flights this week carrying over 300 pets to safety in other parts of the US.
- The Humane Society of the United States
- The ASPCA preparing water rescue, emergency sheltering and relocation efforts.
- Petco Foundation has already $2.3 Million to Texas and Louisiana animal welfare organizations and is accepting donations.
Local Groups at the Forefront
- Houston Pets Alive! rescuing hundreds and hundreds of pets, has a live map of stranded pets and information about how to help with fostering and adoptions.
- Houston Humane Society
- Houston SPCA
Photo: Beatriz Alvarado/Caller-Times
Evacuees from Corpus Christi, Irma and Kevin Pogue and their 5-year old dachshund Gizzmo. The Pogues passed on free shelter offered in San Antonio to avoid being separated from Gizzmo.
- The AKC has provided this list of pet friendly shelters for humans.
To physically volunteer to help with general flood aftermath efforts click here or here to learn about volunteering statewide via FEMA.
About The Smoothe Store and Our Doxie Products
I am not affiliated with any of these organizations, I just looked up a few to donate to personally on behalf of TheSmootheStore.com, the dachshund gift headquarters. We have been donating to furfriends in Texas, as well as the Best Friends Animal Society.